Saturday, January 21, 2012

Stopping. Okay, not stopping, but...

...can we at least sit down for a moment to enjoy a cup of tea?  Please? 

This was a big week.  After all the arrests and teach-ins and protests, Obama said a big, fat, loud "NO" to the climate-killing Keystone XL pipeline.  Wahoo!  Hurrah!  And all that.

I mean, I'm as thrilled as anyone.  Or perhaps, "relieved" is better than "thrilled."  Relieved for just one moment that there is an ounce of sanity in the government, even if you have to dig hard to find it.  But I'm not relieved like, oh, great, that's over so I can move on to other stuff.  I mean, I'm perfectly aware that Big Oil will keep trying to strip-mine our political process in pursuit of profit.

Still, the "We won, but..." emails are making me a little crazy.  So I'm going to drink in the "we won" for now, and save the "but" for next week, after I've celebrated a bit.  After all, my kids have been going through this protest movement with me, and I think I want them to believe for just a few days that the good guys can win, at least for a while.

So, an hour at the teahouse for me, popcorn for them.  Wahoo, hurrah, and all that.  For real.  (For now.)


No comments:

Post a Comment